3.09.2011

Elodie's Sweater

While I (im)patiently await the labour of my first client (I have three for this month), I knit my daughter a sweater. This is only the third thing I've ever knit the poor kid. You'd never guess she was the daughter of a knitter.

Elodie sweater

I knit this without a real pattern, just loosely based on the Snug that I knit for my cousin's baby. I cast on 64 stitches, used 20 for the arm holes, and nixed the hood, opting for a little scoop neck instead. It's quite cute, if I do say so myself. Of course she's thrilled.

The one thing she specifically asked for was thumb holes. I put those in for her on the sleeves to keep the sweater from exposing little wrists in the cool spring and falls. It fulfills my requirements for a sweater in that it's easy enough to make it bigger. The sleeves have plenty of length, and I can easily unpick the button edge and expand the front. Depending on how big she gets and how quickly I can even cut the back, pick up the exposed stitches, extend the back and kitchener together.

Elodie sweater 2

There's nothing quite so nice as a cuddly sweater on a cold day, and we've had plenty of cold days here lately. I've already cast on the next sweater, despite having not finished my Royale yet (damn you, second sleeve!). My grandfather was in the hospital this past week with an infection in his spine due to an epidural they gave him for back pain (he's had chronic back pain for 40 years). I decided the man needs a warm sweater. He's seriously one of the kindest people ever, but he never complains. Ever. Despite not having slept more than four hours a night for the last 20 years because of his pain, despite needing frequent baths each day to help combat it, he never complains.

I called him this past week and asked how he was feeling. "Terrible," he said. "I'm really hurting right now." That's when you know it's awful. It was rather shocking to hear him admitting to not being okay. So the man deserves miles of stockinette, hours and hours of work, and a continual woolly hug from me, his first grandchild.

No comments: